How Can We Impact Sustainability?
Article written by Thunderbird School of Global Management alum, Ralph Jarvis. Ralph Jarvis is a management consultant, author, futurist and speaker. His company, Jarvis Business Solutions, is a certified Lean Six Sigma practice and is a Business Transformation consultancy.
Sustainability is based on the pulse of Environmental, Social and Economic areas or put in another context: Sustainability is focused on Planet, People and Profit. Each of us needs to change behavior, learn, and become more aware of how we impact the environment. Most people become involved by three progressive steps:
- Natural curiosity is a catalyst, curiosity propels us to seek knowledge.
- Being informed, individuals are then willing to experiment.
- Engagement within the community and aligning individual values with other people and organizations that have a like mindset.
How do we become sustainable? Leaders of the 21st century will be responsible of planetary stewardship for our Earth. This means laying the foundation, which the entire Earth community is secure, managed, and prosperous. Stewardship is based on these five key principles:
- Refrain (Conserve)
So, where can that behavior be focused? On a personal level, each of us can be responsible for Stewardship in our own lives. Here are examples:
- Conserve energy, food, and water
- Reduce waste, decrease usage of plastic and paper by increasing usage of existing containers (i.e. mugs and glasses), and use rechargeable batteries
- Recycle daily waste, recycle old clothing, furniture, and books
We must have the will to Lead Smart, with a vision, and create endless opportunities through Sustainability. It’s never too late! Engage in your community. We can meet our needs today, and also create a future for generations can have their needs met, too. BUT we need to act now!” Learn more about Thunderbird alum Ralph Jarvis, and the services offered by Jarvis Business Solutions.